Date of Birth: 6/27/94
Hometown: San Clemente, California
Events: Men’s 10m Air Rifle, Men’s 50m Rifle Three Position, Men's 50m Prone Rifle
Personal: As a youngster, Higgins was not one to shy away from competitive sports. However, early on, Higgins knew he wanted to pursue competitive rifle. “I was 13 when I first began shooting Rifle competitively, and I immediately knew that I wanted to pursue Rifle as my primary sport,” said Higgins.
Higgins felt lucky to have a family that supported his drive to become the best, as his plan included constant training and shooting, even if it meant turning his family’s home into a practice range or traveling long distances for matches.
“I began to train nearly every day, which sometimes meant shooting my Air Rifle 10 meters from the living room, through the kitchen and down the hallway into a pellet trap,” said Higgins. “Every Saturday morning, before I could drive, my parents would wake up around 4:30 to take me to matches that were over 100 miles away. As I got older, I was able to use my parents’ cars and drive the hundreds of miles a week in order to train and compete.”
Higgins recently graduated from the Air Force Academy and enjoys rock climbing, sailing and surfing in his free time. He now moves on to the next phase of his military career, having cross-comissioned into the Marine Corps upon graduation to become an infantry officer.
- 2016 Olympic Games, 40th Place
- 2014 Championship of the Americas - Fifth Place (Prone)
- 2014 National Junior Olympic Shooting Championships - Bronze Medalist (3 Position)
- 2014 Spring Selection Match - Bronze Medalist (Prone), earned spot on World Championship Team
- 2013 USA Shooting National Championships - Silver Medalist (Junior Prone)
- 2013 National Junior Olympic Shooting Championships - Silver Medalist (Prone)