Date of Birth: 04/09/1992
Hometown: Tulsa, Okla.
Event: Men’s Skeet
While attending his first Boy Scout summer camp at 11 years old, Jon Michael approached the shotgun range to ask if he could shoot clay targets with a shotgun. The Range Master helped him with his first shots and then recommended that Jon Michael pursue the shooting sports. An introduction to Skeeter Radke at Tulsa Gun Club led to improved scores and strengthened Jon Michael’s desire to compete. In 2010, at World Shooting Championships in Munich, Germany, he became the first American to win the World Championship Gold Medal in Men’s Junior Skeet. In 2008, Jon Michael became the youngest person at 16 years old, to win the USA Shooting National Championship for Men’s Skeet.
Jon Michael has been active in the competitive shooting sports with the Scholastic Clay Target Program (SCTP), 4H, NRA Sports and the National Skeet Shooters Association (NSSA). In 2004, he won the SCTP National Championship for International Skeet. At 14 years old, Jon Michael won the NSSA Junior World Skeet Championship with a score of 397 out of 400 targets as a sub-junior.
He has remained active with Boy Scouts and achieved the rank of Eagle Scout in 2009. He credits his competition travel for the knowledge he gained about the USA. That knowledge helped him win the school championship in the Geography Bee. “I would always take time to learn the local history wherever I travel and I continue that today in my international travels,” said Jon Michael. “It’s an honor for me to wear USA on my back and represent the United States overseas.” Hunting, fishing, hiking and being active outdoors are some of his favorite activities. He also enjoys travel, public speaking and learning what makes people successful.
He earned three state championship titles in Springboard diving as a youth and grew up playing Little League Baseball in Tulsa. He lettered in golf in high school. Jon Michael is Native American and is voting member of the Cherokee Tribe and Nation.
Spent the summer of 2013 interning on Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C., for Rep. Markwayne Mullin, R-Okla.
- 2013 World Cup Acapulco, 4th Place
- 2012 U.S. Olympic Team Trials, 3rd Place
- 2011 World Cup Sydney, Gold Medalist
- 2011 World Clay Target Championship Team
- 2010 Fall Selection, Silver Medalist
- 2010 World Shooting Championship, Junior Gold Medalist and Junior Team Silver Medal
- 2010 National Championship, Silver Medalist
- 2010 National Junior Olympic Championship, Gold Medalist
- 2009 National Junior Olympic Championship, Bronze Medalist
- 2009 National Championship, Junior Gold Medalist
- 2008 National Championship, Gold Medalist