Date of Birth: 08/11/1991
Hometown: New York, N.Y.
Events: Paralympic Rifle R2 (Women’s 10m Air Rifle), R6 (Mixed 50m Rifle Prone) and R8 (Women’s 50m Rifle Three Position)
Danielle Fong is a standout young athlete on the Paralympic shooting scene. Most notably, she made the 2008 Paralympic Team and finished fifth at the 2010 World Championships in the Mixed Prone (R6) event. Born three months early, Fong was diagnosed with cerebral palsy and shoots IPC events (R2) Women’s 10m Air Rifle, (R6) Mixed 50m Rifle Prone and (R8) Women’s 50m Rifle Three Position. When she was a young child, she had to overcome a re-implanted trigger finger after an accident. National Paralympic Coach Bob Foth commented on Fong’s tenacity as he said, “She’s a very tough competitor and extremely motivated to succeed.” Fong advises junior shooters to “practice hard; set realistic but high goals; be brave.” Fong’s two older sisters, Sandy (National Rifle Team) and Abby (National Development Team) are both involved in competitive rifle shooting. Fong got started in the shooting sports when her father set up an air rifle range in the family’s basement and encouraged Danielle to shoot bench rest with his air rifle. Armed with her Anschutz 2002 air rifle and Anschutz 1907 smallbore gun, Fong continues to aim for a spot on the 2012 Paralympic Team. A self-professed chocoholic and work-out fanatic, Fong also shares her family aptitude for music as she plays trumpet in the Columbia Marching Band.
- 2011 IPC Approved Competition USA, Silver Medalist (R3)
- 2010 Championship of the Americas, Gold (Junior Prone and Junior Women’s 50m Rifle Three Position), Silver (Junior Women’s 10m Air Rifle)
- 2010 Paralympic World Championships, 5th Place (R6)
- 2009 Paralympic World Cup Alicante, Silver (R8), Bronze (R2)
- 2008 Paralympic Games, Team member
- 2008 European Championships, 9th Place (R2)
- 2006 Paralympic World Championships, Team member